Though I have never thought of myself as some one with strong-willed politics I have come to the realization that just because you ignore politics does not mean they will go away. Please excuse the vent session if you want, no one is forcing you to read on. Just my opinion...every one is entitled to one:)
Recently, in the small Arkansas town I grew up in the City Board voted to change the name of main corridor (street) in a very back-handed way. They claim the primary reason for the name change is to honor Dr. Martin Luther King. The cost associated with this name change will be unprecedented; this street stretches for one end of the town to the other, includes more businesses than any other street in the city and numerous homes. The economy of this town is stagnate and has been for probably close to 30 years, I would predict when the new census data is available the population has declined. The voices in the town say "change" but the actions of the City Board say the opposite. Where is the common sense in raising expenses of the businesses in your community during this ugly recession? I have read many opinions about this issue and for what ever reason the ugly "race card" is being played? However, from my small corner of the world I don't care if you wanted to rename it ABC Street or Hometown USA Blvd; it makes absolutely no sense to try and fix something that is not broken! There are so many issues in this town that NEED attention; the school system, the lack of businesses coming to the area, the unemployment ratio, the viability of a beautiful downtown. There are so many pluses about this little town that could be monopolized on; lakes, colleges, rivers, interstate, Amtrak, the possibilities are endless!!! The people stand in the way of progress...sad but true. The truth is not always pretty. This town has so much potential and there is no reason what so ever that it should not be functioning like many others towns with similar characteristics that are booming during this recession. I think the people with the power to change this place, say they want change, but will not make the move to make the change. If this small town does not try to move forward it will only fall behind. The rest of the world is changing, like it or not; I just hope this little town decides to jump on the bandwagon and reap the benefits. A new generation of leaders needs to be born, a new generation with new ideas and an open mind. Maybe they are there?? Maybe they are already yelling in the ears of the people that continue to hold the "power" but is it going in one ear and out the other? I am really not sure. I would love to see this little town "that is a great place to call home" prosper but the train of thought needs to be reformed if the powers at be think renaming a street is where the local businesses need to spend their money? (If the majority of the businesses want to spend there money that way and they vote to change the name then more power to them... welcome, MLK Blvd.) The focus needs to change....the heart of a community is only as good as the education it provides its future leadership!!! Without education, it will be hard for leaders to be born, without leaders it is going to be hard to climb the ladder of economic prosperity and this little town will just wither away! Once again, ignoring change will not make it go away...sad but true!
If you are still reading, thanks for listening, sorry if I stepped on any one's toes, not my intention, just my opinion:)
Disney with the Dance team!
1 year ago

2 comments:
I COMPLETELY agree. It's ridiculous. I read online about how it all went down and couldn't believe it. Definitely a flaw in the system. Besides, they already named the bridge after MLK! I, too, don't care what the street is named, but like you said, if it aint broke DON'T FIX IT!
I totally agree! You would love to hear what all my mom has to say! ha!
Post a Comment